Sunday, June 15, 2008

Show & Tell Sunday ~ My Antique Kneehole Dresser

Show & Tell Sunday ~ My Antique Kneehole Dresser
Today's hostess for Show & Tell Sunday is the wonderful Heidi of Birds of a Feather. Please click here to visit more participants as I'm sure there are some wonderful posts out there today!

Our assignment today was to post our favorite flea market find, so here is mine!


This beautiful dresser was exactly what I had been looking for to give our master bedroom that soft Victorian romantic look. When we found it, it had already been stripped. But DH, being the perfectionist that he is, did some extra stripping & we found it had originally had a lt. blue & a white finish on it at different times. We stripped it down to its pine glory then minwaxed it, & that is how it stayed for about 8 years.

When we redid our bedroom a couple of years ago, I debated & fretted about whether to paint it white. DH threatened me as he usually does, said I had better be REAL sure I wanted it white as he was NEVER going to strip it again, yada yada, yada. So here it is in all its white glory & I'm so glad I decided to paint it!!

The mirror is showing very early signs of ghosting, has intricate beaded trim all around, & I love that it tilts on such a beautiful framework.

It has an inset on the top that I placed some cottage green floral fabric in & had a piece of glass cut to fit across.

I love the small glove box drawers on each side of the mirror. My grandmother gave me the little crystal accent lamps for each side.

I fell in love with the twisted rope trim and appliques on the doors. Even the keyholes are cute ~ can you tell how much I love this find?!?!

I just can't wait to get back home from church today & visit all you other girls & see your great finds! This is just so much fun!

And a big HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads out there today. I miss mine dearly, but cherish all the happy memories I have.
Hugs,



36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, your dresser is beautiful, and it's easy to see why you treasure it so.

Connie said...

I agree with you 100% about the painting and the little dresser! Worth every penny and every moment you spent on it, sweet chick!
Smoochies for Eugenia,
Connie

Anonymous said...

It is so Beautiful!!! And it looks stunning with the white paint. You did capture the theme for your bedroom with this piece. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Stunning Gorgeous ! What an endeavor I use to strip and paint furniture!xxoo
Denise

Vanessa Greenway said...

So beautiful! Have a great day! Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Pretty Pretty! Great finds!! Kristin

Jeanie said...

This is beautiful, Stephanie. A perfect find!

blessings said...

Look at all the detail on that lovely piece. Wow! I just adore old furniture that has ornate pieces. Blessings... Polly (we have church on Saturday nights for the last couple years. I don't like it but it is nice to have Sun mornings free)

Betty said...

Oh that's pretty! I can see why it's your favorite find!!

Jenn said...

Stephanie.... that is just incredible! Wow... its quite an endeavour to re-do furniture but it sure is worth it in the end. Just lovely.....

Recycled Rita said...

This is the prettiest I have seen and you have accented it with the beautiful swag and lamps! Gorgeous!
thanks for sharing!
karen b...
recycledrita.blogspot.com

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Beautiful dresser!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
Happy 34th wedding anniversary!!!!
I love your dresser & I love it white. It is so beautiful with all of your special touches. Your bedroom is just romantic bliss!!!
Hugs

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That vanity would be gorgeous any color!

Celestina Marie said...

Steph, I love your treasured piece. It is simply gorgeous and white made it the vision for your romantic room. Gosh it is stunning and your gift of lamps from grandma, make it even more beautiful. Outstanding flea market find!!
love ya, Celestina
la rea rose

Miss Gracie's House said...

GORGEOUS dresser! I do understand the fretting about "to paint or not to paint"!! Since you did it already-I love it!-It is perfectly romantic!
Rene'

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, I love your dresser! My computer has been acting up all day! I am just now posting my Show & Tell at 9:40 pm. boo-hoo!!! :) xoxo, Joanna

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

It is a real work of craftsmanship.....Blessings...Mary

Little Pink Studio said...

Beautiful dresser! I can't even imagine any other color but white!
~Cerri xo

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

you have such beautiful dresser.. thank you for sharing.

Splashes of Pink and Mint said...

This dresser is sóóóó gorgeous!!! I think you did the right thing to paint it white!

Birds of a Feather said...

wow, that is a treasure! thanks for sharing! xo heidi

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Lovley Dresser . . . beautiful detail.

I am the same as your hubby I think (I really fret about paint). I think after you have done the work to remove paint you really do have to be sure you want to change it. I am getting braver though. I am adding more and more white to the bedrooms. It looks so light and pretty. It makes the room look bigger :)

Thanks for sharing, Karen at Ciderantiques

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Steph, that dresser is amazing!
What a wonderful find....I bet your heart skipped a beat when you saw it!
I love it in white...good choice!

Luvs ya, Dolly

P.S. come visit my garden!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I adore your paintd dresser. The detail is amazing. Your little lamps really set it off in a very pretty way. I love it ALL.
Great find and the paint is just right.
Take care, Jeanne

ABOUT ME said...

Hi Stephanie! I love the white dresser. It really is the perfect romantic piece! And you crack me up with the comments about DH (your husband?). Take care. Di

Unknown said...

Miss Stephy...this pieces is just GORGEOUS...I LOVE IT!!! It really is a treasure!

Hugs...Lorena

Shirl said...

Hi Steph, what a beautiful piece of furniture. I love it just the way you have it. Your home should be in a magazine, your decorating is just stunning! Again Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!
Love You, Shirl
SHirls Rose COttage

Brittany said...

Steph, that is the most gorgeous dresser I have ever seen!! I am so jealous! JK, you did a GREAT job!!

big hugs,
Brittany

ps
I tagged you!

Cami said...

It's lovely! I think white was right! Good choice.

Michele said...

Stunning!!! I can absolutely see why you fell in love with this dresser!!! It's gorgeous!!! I like it white, and I'm glad you did, too (and your husband is, too, I bet!)!! I love the little crystal lamps your grandma gave you to put on the little shelves also. Such a pretty piece! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Hugs,
Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

Lori said...

Stephanie, oh my!!! that dresser is truly gorgeous!!!

SweetAnnee said...

Oh honey..just pack that up and send it my way

it's just as sweet
as you!!

thanks for the lovelies..Deena

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

You are too sweet! You didn't have to send me anything; I am so excited to get whatever it is though! I posted a new blog with pics of Gavin as the Ring Bearer for my future in-laws! You HAVE to see them!
:) Take care!

Nancy said...

Love your dresser, Steph. You've decorated it sooo lovely. Nancy

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Stephanie, I love that dresser too! It's incredible, but then everything you have is!