Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Love Shadow Box Mirrors
And Please Help Me Find My China!

Don't you just love old mirrored shadow boxes, the kind like from the 60's? They just hold so much stuff!! I sell mirrors all the time on eBay & came across one that I intended to sell, but after cleaning it up, I decided it just had to stay with me. Hubby put up a fight, using arguments like, "It's so big, we don't have a place for it, it doesn't match, we need to sell something this week so we can afford groceries & gasoline, yada yada yada". But I knew after I painted it that I just couldn't let it go. Gee, it had gorgeous ROSES on it that just needed painting to bring out their glory!!! So I tucked it away in the corner of the garage to save for when I could find a place for it. Or did I hide it there from hubby? Oh well, I digress.......

Daughter & granddaughter will soon be moving out, so I plan to re-do daughter's bedroom, & ta dah ~ this will be hung on the wall! Instant decoration!! I've filled it with some of my favorite pieces & am already enjoying it.

I had to post a closeup pic of the detailing on the roses. The frame had been an ugly terra cotta color, just needed shabbying up a bit to fit into our home! I added lots of rose themed items, like the roses votive holder, the little blue pin money purse, some of my hinged boxes that have roses on them, & my little demitasse cup & saucer that matches our wedding china. I've been looking like crazy for more of these ~ the pattern is called "Classic" (I think) by Sheffield. Back of plates have the Sheffield logo & a fleur de lis design, says Fine China Japan Classic 501. If you ever see some of these, please snatch them & let me know. I would love to finish my set ~ only have 4, need 8 more. My in-laws owned a small Affiliated grocery store at the time, & gave us a full set of the "grocery store" giveaway china when we got engaged. You know, Buy $25 of groceries & get the featured item of the week for only $1.00! Something like that. These were available at Affiliated Stores back in 1973-74. Boy, am I showing my age now or what?

Anyway, it was a very special & thoughtful gift & I simply adore using it & decorating with it. So please help me find more of the matching demitasse cups & saucers!!

Hugs,

Stephanie



12 comments:

Retroboutiques said...

Hi Stephanie...love the shelf! I'll tell you the story of mine one day...but, look at ebay auction# 150143294022, ends in 11 hours..is that your china?

Retroboutiques said...

Or search Sheffield Classic then click on pottery and china on the left...I see about 8 listings..good luck!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Ill keep my eye out!

Sharon said...

Steph..I have one in mahogany but it's not elegant like this one. Love the feminine rose details. You MUST keep this one for you, it's just too pretty to part with.

Unknown said...

Steph, that shelf is gorgeous! I am so glad you are keeping it for yourself! I can tell how much you love it!!

Hugs,
Amy

Lori said...

Stephanie, Cute little teapot in the upper left corner of the shelf! Wonder who has the same one????? LOL You have to let me know what your daughters colors are and does she have a theme like roses, hearts etc for the wedding. Usually I come up with good ideas for favors. Yep when I read your note I though isn't it normal for sweeties like us to have stuff to get us sad and get under our skin? Been my week so far! I'll have to email you on that stuff! Love, Lori

My Pink Boutique said...

Great shadowbox! It really opens up a room.

:)
Kimberly

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

OH Steph... that is just so pretty. You have the best mirrors and lamps of anyone I know!!! I bet everyone just ooohs and ahhhs when they walk into your home.

This one is definatly a keeper and I do the SAME thing hiding things away in the garage..then I bring them out and he says "when did you get that" and I say... I have had this forever!!! lol

xoxoxo Heather

Sweet Remembrance said...

I love the shadow box...
I'd have kept it too!

Anonymous said...

mine is gold mirrow, if i sold it , how much could i get

Mary said...

I have a set of the Sheffield Classic 501 fine china, but will need to unpack to see exactly which pieces. Pretty sure it's atleast a full place setting for 4. Also have 2 brass angel candle holders (wall-mount) & a brass angel figurine if you're interested. The china sets I've seen on eBay & craigslist run about $100.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Mary ~ I tried to email you back but have no way of reaching you. Please contact me again when you unpack your pieces.

Stephanie